Ho Citadel locates in adjacent to the four villages in Vinh Lac District, Thanh Hoa province approximately 150km from Hanoi. It was the capital of Vietnam from 1397 to 1407.
If going from Hanoi, first one goes to Thanh Hoa city on High way 1A (150km), then one takes the provincial highway no.45 from Thanh Hoa to get there (45km). One also can go there by boat from the South China Sea up to the Len or Ma rivers to the mountain districts of of Quan Hoa and of Ba Thuoc.
Historically, in 1397, Ho Quy Ly, the Prime-minister of Tran dynasty ordered to contruct the Ho Citadel. In the same year, he moved the royal court from Thang Long (current day Ha Noi) to the Ho Citadel in Thanh Hoa.
The citadel was erected in 1397, during the Ho Dynasty. The stone citadel was built in the shape of a rectangle and surrounded by a deep moat. Its walls were made of green granite. There are four gates on each side of the citadel. The south wall had two small gates. From the South Gate had a stone road leading to the Nam Giao esplanade at Don Son.
Upon completion of the wall, King ho Quy Ly moved the capital from Thang Long to Tay Do. The citadel was eventually destroyed and abandoned. More than 6 centuries passed since the wall was erected, and only ruins of the South Gate remain.
Nowadays, inside the citadel are remains of the foundations of the royal places and two carved stone dragons.